Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
richthofen
GX Member

richthofen is on a distinguished road
Starter Switch Replacement

Forgive me if there are already threads on this, but can anyone give me some advice on replacing the ignition switch? Car is a 2000 GL with the 2.4 engine. I used the Haynes manual instructions to get as far as removing the instrument bezel surround--first problem is I cannot disconnect the stupid clip holding the trip odometer reset button. How does that thing disengage, exactly? I was severely tempted to just cut the wires.

Assuming I get that thing out and remove the instrument cluster, which seems easy enough, reading ahead gives me problem number two. The book's illustration uses a Malibu dash, which has the ignition assembly behind the radio surround bezel. On the Alero, so far as I can tell, the two bolts that hold the ignition assembly in are behind a featureless expanse of dashboard, and removing the trim ring doesn't help. Please, tell me there's a way to get to this thing without taking out the whole dash? That would be way beyond my comfort zone. And might require me to get creative with a dremel and a cut-off wheel...
richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute

It really isn't that hard to get into the dash by the radio...pull the staple out of the back of the shift knob and it pulls off then the bezel is in two sections and pops out fairly easy
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
richthofen
GX Member

Ah, helpful video. Thanks. I had thought the two 10mm bolts which evidently hold the cylinder inside the switch (which can just be seen once the key bezel is popped off) were what held the assembly in the dash. Makes much more sense this way. Will try again tomorrow, wish me luck!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
richthofen
GX Member

Exclamation

Hrm. So problem. I got everything apart fine (once I had some time to work on it again today). When I started putting it back together with the new ignition switch, I got the cylinder back in. The shifter interlock cable, however, did not want to seat properly. So I tried wiggling the key, at which point I managed to move it back to off. Where it stayed. Stupid me.

So now the shifter interlock cable is engaged and won't come out, but is not seated properly either. So the key won't turn in the cylinder. Any ideas on what to do now?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
richthofen
GX Member

Nevermind, key turned eventually. Though I think this is teaching me that I need to replace the cylinder too. New thread?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
were you trying to turn the key while your car was in a gear other than park?
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
richthofen
GX Member

No, car was in park, the cylinder is just worn out (I should replace it too while I have it apart but don't have the $$$ right now). It's been that way for a couple of years but it has its bad moments and that was one of them.

The reason the shifter lock cable is falling out of the back of the starter switch seems to be purely mechanical--the hole where the tab on the lock cable is supposed to clip into is badly aligned or too small so the clip won't clip and the cable falls out when the key is in run/acc. Think if I file the side of the hole down so the clip can grab I'll be fine.

So many stupid little problems plus an unheated garage/cold temperatures plus the fact that I keep dropping my $@#@$%! mag-lite inside the dash are making this take way longer than it ought to.