Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 11-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Which Stereo Brand?

for christmas, I am looking to replace the head unit and speakers in my 2000 malibu... the oem cd player is shot and I've heard more lively speakers in an elevator.

Lets just say I want something that sounds good but won't break the bank. I am looking for a head unit that has a USB port to hook up my iPod (or future iPhone), plays CD's, and optionally supports HD radio or pandora through an iphone. I've been on crutchfield and I am familiar with Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC, ans Sony, yet I don't know which is better than the other.

As for speakers - where do I start? I only have two door speakers and two rear deck speakers to work with and I want to maximize the range of sound. Compared to my old alero's stock 6 speaker system, this car fails at getting any high pitches or base.

Any pointers or insider information is greatly appreciated!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

looking at this head unit... thoughts?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X350...I.html?tp=5684

Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
I have a pioneer flip up and i've had it for about 4 years now with no issues. Their a solid brand. Go for it.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Alpine all the way I have a 7 inch double din it has been in three different cars my 2 alero's and now my Subaru. It has everything I need including navigation
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
One thing to keep in mind - almost any of the brands listed, above the cheapest line, will be good. None are bad.

THAT said - if you're using Crutchfield to help pick, I'd buy from Crutchfield. They have the advantage that they actually DO try these combos they say work.

For the front speakers, I'd opt for components and move the tweeters/midrange up to the A pillars - or at least, to the top of the door panel. But that's just me, 56 years old with tinnitus and a volume control that tends to stay at "11"

For the rear, it's really "At what point does my money spent equal how good I want it to sound?" You can go for some really good sound level pressure or sound quality. You can even go for both. But the more of either, the more expensive. Plus, do you have a fold-down rear seat? DO you fold down the rear seat? Do you put stuff into the trunk and fill it up? Or is it just a big empty hole behind the rear seat?

It's really a shame that the two best resources for stuff like this, Malibuclub.CA and UnitedMalibus.COM both folded in the last 18 months. MalibuClub had some nice speaker installs. Le sigh.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

ok, bought my headunit -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...-2763-6771-0-1

now, for speakers. the technician at Best Buy was trying to sell me on Polk 4x6 speakers in the front and alpine 6x9's in the rear... thoughts?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i plan on doing infinity in mine some day. the front speakers in mine are still stock. and the rear is kenwoods... they were dirt cheap at the time so i got em. but now i want infinity, my moms car has full infinity speaker system and it just sounds fantastic. and has awesome bass for just speakers. makes the rearview mirror shake and feels like you have a small set of (real subs) in the car it beats so nice.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
I would recommend the Infinity Reference series. I purchased 4x6 door speakers and 6x9 3-way speakers from Amazon.com for under $140. They will sound great only with the pioneer built in amp but if you add an aftermarket amp, they will sound ridiculous.
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Brand really doesn't matter any more. They are all made in China.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
As far as speakers go, I would look for nice components online and a pair of door sails at the junkyard that had the tweeters so you can run a wire up the door to a tweeter. It will be exactly the same as the 6 speaker system in the Alero.

I would also recommend if you can to upgrade those old 4x6 to 6 1/2s on the door. I did it with mine. This is only if you can come up with a way to mount them. I bought an adapter online, but then again, not sure if the Malibu had the speakers mounted the same way the Alero/Grand Am did.

As far as the rear deck, a pair of Sony 3 way speakers will suffice. I have a set in my car. 60 watts RMS, peak is 300. While the radio will never match it (remember radios usually supply 20 watts RMS on average), it still sounds pretty clear and can play bass lines really good.

Here are the speakers I bought. Well worth the money.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+6...&skuId=1982098
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote