Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 12-29-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
i put in a set of pioneer 6980's in replacement of the stock 6x9's on a chrysler concorde. Bought the speaker harnesses which were 2 pin going into 4 pin (the originals were 4 pin off the speaker). I was told they should do the same job.

They work, however they are definately not pushing as much as they should, they're even quieter than the stock for some reason.

There's a stock amp somewhere in the car, I'm figuring that is leading into the problem but I'm not sure how to correct the issue.

Had prior problems with the stock amp, had no bass when we installed a new head unit and had to tap into a wire to get the bass back.

Is there any easy way to correct the problem? or any ideas/suggestions?

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
The only advice I have is to find that stock amp and ditch that thing like a bad habit. It's probably giving you ohm load issues. Let's just hope that Chrysler didn't design their audio systems like ours. <_<

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
bigd6983

yea more than likely ur having an ohmage issue.....
Old 12-30-2004, 02:34 AM   #4
1WhiteOSV

it's probably bi-amplified (woofer amped separate from tweeter)...if there are 4 wires outta the plug going to the speaker..just cut them and splice them all into 2 wires and you're good to go...its how you replace speakers w/ our Monsoon systems
Old 12-30-2004, 05:55 AM   #5
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Quote:
Originally posted by 1WhiteOSV@Dec 30 2004, 07:34 AM
it's probably bi-amplified (woofer amped separate from tweeter)...if there are 4 wires outta the plug going to the speaker..just cut them and splice them all into 2 wires and you're good to go...its how you replace speakers w/ our Monsoon systems
Ingnore the last post. A bi amped speaker means that two seperate channels are producing wattage for the speaker. One channel is producing the wattage for the woofer and mid, while another is producing wattage for the tweeter. In the case of the monsoon speaker the woofer is two ohms at 25 watts. The speaker tweeter and midrange are being amped with a four ohm load of 25 watts. Never wire up a speaker with more than one channel to the same terminals. You will just end up with a poopty sounding sytem and a short life span for the speaker and amplifier. In the case of varying ohms this is very important. If you have something similar to the monsoon amp only one of these channels will be used. Unfortunately, the monsoon amp has a crossover limiting the frequencies on both channels. The woofer is getting the lows while the tweets are getting the highs. This could be why your lacking in sound. Another reason could be that your amp is suppose to see a two ohm load while your new speakers are four. The first thing that you need to do is find out if you have a amp. If so, then what kind and how is it powering the speakers. I don't know the year or trim of your car. However, the concordes I looked up advertised a nine speaker system in seven locations. This is a good give away for a bi amped system. The best thing for you to do is splice the rear speaker wires prior to the amp and run them directly to your new 6x9's. You won't have the amplified signal but all of your frequencies will remain. This will also eliminate any worries of ohm problems. I will suggest that if your concorde is farily new (within two years) check to ensure that the signal coming from your radio is High level (speaker wires) and not low level (rca signals). The newer GM and Toyota radios we make utilize low level and even digital to the amplifier. It still looks like a normal wire harness, and can be decieving. A low level will still use a positive and negative wire. However a digital runs off of six wires period ( a serial connection). crutchfield should be able to give some info into this.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:05 PM   #6
brim
GLS member

the car is a 96'

i'll have to look into it some more tomorrow, i think the newer ones have Infinity sound systems, i'll have to see what i can dig up

how would i go about bypassing the amp, i'm still trying to pick up on that

1) gotta find it first
2) split the speaker wire before amp and run new wires to the rear 6x9's?

follow the titans
Old 12-30-2004, 06:01 PM   #7
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by brim@Dec 30 2004, 05:05 PM

how would i go about bypassing the amp, i'm still trying to pick up on that

1) gotta find it first
2) split the speaker wire before amp and run new wires to the rear 6x9's?
That's correct. BUT Not until you follow his directions through, as there may be more here than meets the eye.

" I will suggest that if your concorde is farily new (within two years) check to ensure that the signal coming from your radio is High level (speaker wires) and not low level (rca signals). The newer GM and Toyota radios we make utilize low level and even digital to the amplifier. It still looks like a normal wire harness, and can be decieving. A low level will still use a positive and negative wire. However a digital runs off of six wires period ( a serial connection). crutchfield should be able to give some info into this. "

If and only if the speaker wires coming from the headunit are high-level, connect the wires from the headunit directly to the speakers, no amp in-between. This way you'll retain all the frequency range that the channels are putting out, but you're also confined to how much power the headunit is supplying. It's not as nice as an amped system, but it'll sound clean, and be louder than what you're currently experiencing. :thumbsup:

BTW, excellent post MikeGett

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
brim
GLS member

is determing if they're high level supposed to be as easy as seeing if its normal speaker wire or rca cable?

follow the titans
Old 12-30-2004, 10:57 PM   #9
mikegett
GL Member

No. Factory cars don't use rca cables. The cost is too great and limits flexibility to interchange parts. They will use the same low level signal that a rca uses in some situations. This use to be seen in high end luxury sedans but has been introduced into midrange HU's over the past couple of years. If your car is 96 then it will almost deffinately be a high level speaker wire. Only about ten percent of the HU's we made last year used low level in toyota. GM will be the tricky one starting in 05 and 06 with the digital data bus. To be possitive you can check the wires with a volt meter. I just don't think that you will have that problem with that old of a vehicle. Once again, ensure that you have a amplifier. Then remove the rear speaker wires from the amp and send them to the new 6x9. Test it out with the radio on low. If the sound is worse, or even the same, then have a radio shop ensure your connections. I know little about infinity amps. I will assume that they are like the monsoons bi amped. However, there are some amps(like the bose) that you need a dedicated Line OUT Converter to change the head unit ground. Othewise the HU and speaker can be damaged. I am sorry about making this complicated but sometimes there can be many variables to deal with.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:01 PM   #10
mikegett
GL Member

I suggest that you call a dealer and ask what kind of stereo is equiped with your car. Give them the vin and they should be able to look it up. Ask what radio, amp if any, and speaker set up. The shop may be able to tell you if the HU uses a abnormal ground like the bose. If not, then post the info here and we can help to look up what is needed. A serial number off of the amp may help out.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:07 AM   #11
1WhiteOSV

Yea...that's my fault...idk what I was smoking when I typed that.......you use only 2 of the 4 wires...it's just you have to choose what you want (high's or low's) because 2 of the wires are for tweeter and 2 are for woofer...if u use the 2 for the woofer you'll have more lows...if you use the 2 wires for the tweeter you'll have more highs. I put a pair of Pioneer's in a GAGT w/ Monsoon speakers 2night at work (I'm a mobile installer at Best Buy) and thats how it was done.