Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #1
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
Just out of curiosity... does anyone around here buy these for thier rides? i've priced it generally but i see very few done... and what is better? obviously runnin nitrous is risky for the engine... but is quite effective... superchargers are 4K at least for what... 40 or 50 HP.... and turbo kits are about the same? what's the deal? anyone have any reviews?

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
turbo for ecotec: 2,700
although if you were ambitious you could get a supercharged engine that's in the colbalt SS

2.4L Supercharger - 3,900
turbo - 3,300

3600 V-6 supercharger - 4,700
dont know about turbo's for this,

and dont really know about horsepower for any of them.....if you click the alero upgrades link on the left of the portal page then click the link to your engine you can find more mods.....................but yeah there are a few people who have turbo's on here, i'd talk to turbo-alero i imagine he can answer your questions
Old 05-02-2005, 01:07 AM   #3
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
god i wish i had the ecotec so bad !!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #4
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
what's so good about the ecotec? i don't see it as anything special...

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
just aftermarket support nate, and it like a honda engine

The 2.4 S/C can be had for ~2K. Don't know where you all got 4K, (looking for a smiliey doing bong hits...............)
Old 05-02-2005, 03:54 AM   #6
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
most power per dollar: build your own turbo kit. its more efficient than a supercharger, and much more easy to upgrade in the future. but make sure to do a lot of searching and learning before hand if you're actually considering this. you want to do it right the first time. that way you dont blow anything up.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:20 AM   #7
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie@May 2 2005, 02:49 AM

The 2.4 S/C can be had for ~2K. Don't know where you all got 4K, (looking for a smiliey doing bong hits...............)

where did you see a S/C for $2000.00? the only S/C I have seen is RSM Racings and it is $3500.00 for stage 1 and they dont list the price for Stage 2.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
3400 v6 turbo - $1500-4000

100+ horsepower gain (HP kit dynoed @ 264 hp and 284 tq @ 9psi (wheel hp and tq))
Old 05-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
sc/alero

i got roughly 70 hp out of the S/C kit. but with my mods i have roughly 289 to the ground
Old 05-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #10
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you have the 3400 and are not sure about some stuff DIY talk to germ since you are in wisconsin its not too far to minneapolis where he is at. he has got a turbo 3400 in his monte and i believe that he may be building a kit for the alero. anyway good luck.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally posted by VTOLDS+May 2 2005, 06:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VTOLDS @ May 2 2005, 06:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fast Eddie@May 2 2005, 02:49 AM

where did you see a S/C for $2000.00? the only S/C I have seen is RSM Racings and it is $3500.00 for stage 1 and they dont list the price for Stage 2.
[/b][/quote]

Gm S/C = $1995.00 thru GM
Old 05-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie@May 2 2005, 01:49 AM

got it off the all upgrades page on the portal, then clicked the2.4 L page
Old 05-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #13
FantomForceCustoms02
GL Member

FantomForceCustoms02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FantomForceCustoms02
Quote:
Originally posted by alero_ecotec@May 2 2005, 12:00 AM
although if you were ambitious you could get a supercharged engine that's in the colbalt SS

Where did you find this turbo for the ecotec? Or is that how much it will cost if you build your own?
http://www.myspace.com/fantomforce
FantomForceCustoms02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
germ

as mentioned before, if your wanting to turbo, i can help out.

im basically offering free install for the first alero to purchase the "kit" i want to make for you guys.

the basic setup will be less than $2000 and will gain you around ~250-275 HP at the wheels for a "stage 1"

the "stage 2" is a little more complex and offers more power (around 300+ WHP) and costs roughly $2400

the "stage 3" is all the "extra" stuff you would want to do to the 3400 to hold a lot of power. pistons, head work, intakes, copper gaskets, o ring the block, BIG front mount intercooler, etc.... it should hold 20 psi without a problem and would be around $3300

remember, free install for the first person.

and also keep in mind, when your going for that level of performance, you REALLY must look into tranny work in order to be reliable. the stock tranny would really only hold a stage 1 kit for awhile as long as you dont get on it at every single light/stop sign/off ramp/on ramp, etc.... if you drive with some common sense, you should be able to get a lot of life from the stock tranny (but failures do happen with stock engines, so keep that in mind)
Old 05-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #15
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by FantomForceCustoms02+May 2 2005, 01:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FantomForceCustoms02 @ May 2 2005, 01:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-alero_ecotec@May 2 2005, 12:00 AM

Where did you find this turbo for the ecotec? Or is that how much it will cost if you build your own?
[/b][/quote]

sorry, got it off the all upgrades section ....but when i clicked the link it was dead....you might try gogle though.........but just wait a while, the aftermarket for the eco will be pretty big im assuming since GM is putting versions of the ecotec in just about everything now
Old 05-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #16
germ

[quote=alero_ecotec,May 2 2005, 03:02 PM]
[quote=FantomForceCustoms02,May 2 2005, 01:49 PM]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alero_ecotec,May 2 2005, 12:00 AM
the aftermarket for the eco will be pretty big im assuming since GM is putting versions of the ecotec in just about everything now

lol, dont get your hopes up "to high"

they put the GM 60v6 in a LOT of cars as well and the aftermarket never really came for us.

hopefully GM will do it right this time, cause the ECO engines are very nice and from what i read, they can take a LOT of power on stock internals.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #17
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally posted by germ@May 2 2005, 03:28 PM

im basically offering free install for the first alero to purchase the "kit" i want to make for you guys.

the basic setup will be less than $2000 and will gain you around ~250-275 HP at the wheels for a "stage 1"

the "stage 2" is a little more complex and offers more power (around 300+ WHP) and costs roughly $2400

the "stage 3" is all the "extra" stuff you would want to do to the 3400 to hold a lot of power. pistons, head work, intakes, copper gaskets, o ring the block, BIG front mount intercooler, etc.... it should hold 20 psi without a problem and would be around $3300

and also keep in mind, when your going for that level of performance, you REALLY must look into tranny work in order to be reliable. the stock tranny would really only hold a stage 1 kit for awhile as long as you dont get on it at every single light/stop sign/off ramp/on ramp, etc.... if you drive with some common sense, you should be able to get a lot of life from the stock tranny (but failures do happen with stock engines, so keep that in mind)

dude i would worship you if you went into making kits for us. i was thinking about air bag suspension but if you can make a custom kit, i'd buy it from you, since your pretty good in the boost section.

also, im thinking about doing that Getrag 287 tranny swap. do you know how to build that tranny up or how much it can handle?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #18
jlenko
GX Member

jlenko is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jlenko
I've run nitrous on two of my 2.4L's... and this one is soon to be boosted via the GM supercharger ($1999 at www.gmpartsdirect.com, but with $400 shipping... or $2295 at www.paceparts.com.. which is where i got it.. $75 or so shipping)..

I ran a ZEX dry kit #82011 at 85hp... ran 13.8's in my Cavalier Z24.. with 15" Mickey Thompson slicks for traction

Also ran a ZEX wet kit #82021 at 75hp.. never did see the track with that car.

Never blown up... just be careful... and remember an MSD DIS-2 for timing retard otherwise, it goes boom.!!
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:20 PM   #19
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea... youve had really good luck running nitrous on your 2.4s... but then you seem to be smart about it.. ive heard SOO MANNY horror storys about people runing a 50shot on their 2.4 and it blowing up haha

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #20
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by -Alero-+May 2 2005, 02:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(-Alero- @ May 2 2005, 02:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-germ@May 2 2005, 03:28 PM

dude i would worship you if you went into making kits for us. i was thinking about air bag suspension but if you can make a custom kit, i'd buy it from you, since your pretty good in the boost section.

also, im thinking about doing that Getrag 287 tranny swap. do you know how to build that tranny up or how much it can handle?
[/b][/quote]

Here's the "offical" specs on the getrag trannies the 287 is good for about 250 ft/lbs (not NM) w/o constant beating.

First step to building it is an upgraded cluth, cryo the gears, new syncros, how crazy you want to get?? Don't forget your shafts...