Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
cutlass442dude

The e brake no longer works on my alero and feels loose when you pull the handle, do you suppose the drum brakes are worn out or the cable is just loose. I suspect it's the brakes, but if its the cable how would you tighten it up. How could i solve this problem, thanks any help is appreciated.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
ya this just happened to me as well........
Old 01-11-2004, 04:33 PM   #3
cutlass442dude

do you have any idea what to do?
Old 01-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
not yet, im gonna go talk to my mechanic, ill let you know what i find out. the haynes is no help.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:48 AM   #5
cutlass442dude

alright thanks man, keep me posted.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I had my car at the dealer one day for something else and I had they look at this problem too.

They said that they "adjusted" the brakes but that with rear discs there's nothing they can do. I personally think this is BS

I'm getting a pair of rear powerslots for my birthday, but they won't be on for a while, I think this will help

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:40 PM   #7
cutlass442dude

the e brake pulls the brake drums not the discs, the drum brakes are hidden way in there, i'm pretty sure anyway.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #8
Cyber Knight
Swank

Cyber Knight is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm quite sure it's the cable, I recently had mine tightened and it's fine now, but it's already gone from 3 'clicks' up on the handle to 5 to keep it from rolling outta my parking spot. I wish I knew how to tighten it myself. I think they make our cable out of taffy.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:21 PM   #9
cutlass442dude

yeah i looked under the car and there are no adjustment screws or anything , at one time i only had to pull mine up 1/4 of the way but now it just flat out dont even work.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:38 PM   #10
Cyber Knight
Swank

Cyber Knight is an unknown quantity at this point
I thot there might be somewhere on the handle itself that you could tighten it, but I didn't wanna take apart my console to get at it. It happens on all cars, probably some worse than others. The only time I use my e-brake is when I'm warming it up and scraping frost from the windows or dusting the snow off, otherwise I just park it in gear and use the curb on hills to keep me in place. And maybe I've used the e-brake in an icy lot at 2AM, but that's a must!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:15 PM   #11
cutlass442dude

I was thinkin that to, i was gonna see if i could find something at the bottom of the lever but , same as you , i didnt want to take the console apart and thats the only way. I would really love to have my e brake back, i use it alot , (mainly burnouts on pavement) , but ice is very fun too!
Old 01-13-2004, 01:24 AM   #12
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
ummm, we have no brake drums. pretty sure you can tighten the cable tho.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:57 AM   #13
Alero0119

my alero had 4 wheel disc n my e-brake worked so good when i bought it, barley had to pull it and it worked. eventually after hittin the icy parkin lots it stopped workin all together so its gotta be just the cable n not te brakes. if it were the brakes u would a metal on metal scrathing noise when applied. my civic on the other hand is a stick n i use the e-brake all the time especially right now in all the snow for powerslides.. hehehe, but the e-brake is still one click to lock the back tires
Old 01-13-2004, 08:32 PM   #14
havik

If I used my e brakes to perform burnouts, spinouts, etc... I wouldn't be surprised to find out that one day my e brake didn't work anymore. Just a thought.

Sounds like the first thing to do is to get the cable tightened. If it doesn't work, post back
Old 01-13-2004, 10:31 PM   #15
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes you have to tighten the cable, the adjustment is either at the base of the lever, underneath the lever, or on the cable.. but there will be an adjustment

Mine is also out of adjustment issed:

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:28 PM   #16
cutlass442dude

Well if anyone actually finds out exctally how to tighten the cable, just let me know, i might try looking under the lever cuz i've already looked under the car and there is nothing there.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:36 PM   #17
Silverknight

I had mine adjusted by my dealer and he charged $40 (canadian)...and the brake is starting to losen up again....the wire connects directly to the drum brake in the middle of the disk of the back wheels, it's easy to spot, but hard to tighten. The mechanic said he had to take the reat wheels off and adjust the cable on each individual brake...good luck though
Old 01-15-2004, 12:28 PM   #18
cutlass442dude

BTW There are drums on the alero. the ones in the middle of the discs in the rear was what i was talking about. just like he said ^
Old 01-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #19
wsdbikes

I have the same issue with the 03 I bought a few weeks ago. it only has 23k miles and the handle pulls nearly all the way up to engage. It has drum rears also.

I have had quite a few vehicles and there is always an adjustment for this. I plan to take care of this in a few weeks and will post the details on how to do it for the drum brake rears.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:49 AM   #20
3.4Alero

the e-brake is self adjusting. The only way to tighten it is to either cut the old cable, or get a new one.