Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 09-12-2005, 11:43 PM   #1
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
first remove the door piece that has the window controls. if you cant do this, you probably shouldnt do this mod.

second remove the switch by using a small screwdriver to pry up the 3 tabs. again very simple.

once you have the switches in hand, pull up on the piece of rubber and remove it

remove the individual switch by prying outward on the piece where it is mounted. you can see the two pegs it's mounted on in the picture above where i've already removed the first switch.

next sand the switch with 150 grit sandpaper until all paint is gone, i prefer sandpaper over some sort of solvent because a "fuzzy" looking switch will disperse the light better. repeat with second (and third/forth for 4 door).

next take the entire switch assembly, and you'll see a clear piece of plastic that was used to project the faint green light in the stock setup, you can remove it carefully, or break it. you wont need it. now you'll see the stock bulb, it's a small bulb with a blue condom, break it with needle nose pliers, and pull the bulb holder through the hole in the side of the switch. now you have a hole (where the old bulb was to run the wires for your new LEDS.

this next step i havent completed, but i think would work best. first of all you're going to want (2) 3mm LEDs for each switch. since you'll be using 2 each, you'll always have a multiple of 4 and you wont have to worry about using resistors. connect small (14g or so) wire to the leads on the led, and remember to keep track of pos/neg (use a black wire for neg). on the LED, the longer lead is positive. after connecting wires to the LED i suggest you fill the little switch that you just sanded with hot glue, then press the LEDS (2) into the hot glue. run the wires out the little hole where the stock bulb was, and install everything in reverse, leaving the wires for a good 12v source, i would say ONLY use the dimmer switch because then they will dim with your gauge clutster. you could also run a voltmeter on the stock plug and find which one controls the voltage for the dimming of the stock bulb that was in there. i dont have an alero anymore, so i cant do this for you. wire it up, and turn your car on. you should now have similar glowing switches. have fun.

finished product (kinda) i temp used 1 5mm led, and i think it's too bright, that's why i suggested using (2) 3mm leds. you can get them at radioshack, or through our sponsor oznium.com, use the banner to get there if you buy something!

with flash:

without:

should eventually look SIMILAR to this (this is a grand am) copyright whoever took the pic:

thanks all for viewing, any quesitons feel free to ask. and if you want to buy a SET of clear window switches for a 2-door, pm me
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:36 AM   #2
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
damn, you beat me too it, i was only gonna use 1 3mm, cause i alos wouldnt enjoy the brightness, alos using a polarized LED is alot easier.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:19 AM   #3
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
yea, i think 2 3mm would be nice though, and if not you could always throw in a resistor later to dim it a little.

and after looking at the grand am one closer, it looks like its filled with epoxy.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:35 AM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally posted by FormulaNERD@Sep 13 2005, 02:19 AM
yea, i think 2 3mm would be nice though, and if not you could always throw in a resistor later to dim it a little.

and after looking at the grand am one closer, it looks like its filled with epoxy.

yeah, maybe 2 3mm in the rear doors (sedan) and 1 3mm in the front doors, you know, nothing too distracting.