Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
brewskipruski

I was playing around this weekend and decided it was about time to clean my air filter and in the process found this plastic tube in the intake box of my Alero. It went from just above the air filter into the tube that leads to the TB. What's it there for? will it hurt anything if I take it out? I hope not cuz i did, so if my car's gonna blow up soon let me know quick so I can put it back in.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally posted by brewskipruski@May 18 2005, 12:13 AM
I was playing around this weekend and decided it was about time to clean my air filter and in the process found this plastic tube in the intake box of my Alero. It went from just above the air filter into the tube that leads to the TB. What's it there for? will it hurt anything if I take it out? I hope not cuz i did, so if my car's gonna blow up soon let me know quick so I can put it back in.

Not too sure what it is, but it sounds like a restrictor tube of some sorts, any pics of it will help.

No your car won't blow up if you remove it, but just be sure that your intake tube is sealed up after the airbox. Don't want unfiltered air getting into your motor

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
brewskipruski

Thanks, I'll try to post some pictures this weekend, the intake tube is still sealed after the air box, i was just wondering why this extra, seemingly pointless thing was doing in my intake box. So far it hasn't really made any difference without it... other than that my car is a few ounces lighter
Old 05-18-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
eh! extra parts....they put them in there all the time. they probably just had some stray tubes laying around at the factory and hid them all through your car to play a game.
So far you're winning, you've found one, lets see how many mor eyou can find!
Seriously though, if it was just laying in the airbox, i'm sure you're good to go ahead and discard that one.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
that is the tuner tube. removing it doesn't hurt anything. give it a little different sound. because you can suck a little more in.

i had mine removed years ago
Old 05-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
fusion
GX Member

fusion is an unknown quantity at this point
i kept it in, because i thought that the tuner tube creates a better flow of air straight to the TB, as opposed to having turbulence inside that box part.

Wut do u think?
fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:16 PM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
with or without either way makes no difference on a n/a setup.

if you were to gain or loss anything it might be .005 hp

I know your thought process. because of all the fins and ridges on the inside. but yet the tube directs the air against the wal and then the air has to bounce around to get to the TB. that whole box setup sucks.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #8
dark_n_evil

i completly removed the whole intake system and replaced it all with an ingen cold air intake. i gained around 5-10 extra horses.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
brewskipruski

Eventually I will be adding a CAI... when my wallet permits, but untill then i've gotta stick with what I got. Anyone got any feedback about the Induction Dynamics CAI? I'm thinking that might be the best one for me since I live in Canada and won't have to pay any extra customs fees to have it shipped.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:34 AM   #10
Oldsman
Owner

i have the induction dynamics CAI and it is worth the money.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
brewskipruski

Thanks Oldsman, I'm probably gonna pick it up around the end of the summer.

P.S. I love the animation on the bottom of your posts, i have caught myself staring @ it more than a few times :o
Old 05-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #12
Oldsman
Owner

i still stare also......................LOL
Old 05-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #13
neuroplasma

I swear I read the first bit of the title as "Plastic Tube Sock" at first glance.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:53 PM   #14
Oldsman
Owner

LOL