Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
FrankNY
GX Member

FrankNY is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FrankNY
I plan on flushing out all the dex-cool in my car. Taking the thermostat out, running it without a thermostat to clear out all the dex-cool in the heater core etc. When the water finally runs clear, putting in a new thermostat (fail-safe 160 degree, when it fails, it remains open) . Does anyone have any suggestions to add in addition to what I am doing.
FrankNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
Chucklez05

I don't really have a lot to suggest other then I would just stay with the dex-cool instead of the green antifreeze. I really don't think that their would be a problem with switching as long as you flushed ALL of the dex-cool out before you dumped the other stuff in, somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i would stay with the dex-cool since that is what is recommended for our cars plus that way you would have the extended life of the antifreeze.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
bigd6983

that 160 degree thermostat is way too low of a temperature.....what kind of mods do you have?? what engine do you have?? i think the stock one is 195 and pfyc has one at 180, if anything that 180 would be the lowest that i would go......

some others will comment on this though, see what they say
Old 07-05-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
I dont think Dexcool is any better than the green stuff. If you do a search on Dexcool you will find a thread about a dexcool lawsuit.

I recently changed to the green stuff after my water pump failed. I only had 65,000KM on it.

You shouldnt have any problems as long as you flush out all of the dexcool.

As far as im concerned Dexcool is just another way for GM to take your money. I dont think it lasts longer than the greeen stuff. At 50,000 KM it had lost alot of its strength and that was according to an impartial third party. (I had the car apraised by BCAA) and my mechanic strongly recconmends that anyone running Dexcool switch as soon as possible. Of course thats just his opinion, based on his 30 years experience.

Here is a qute from GM:
"Thank you for contacting the GMC Customer Assistance Center. We sincerely apologize for the coolant concerns you may be experiencing with your 2000 GMC Jimmy and 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. The DexCool is supposed to last up to 150,000 miles under perfect operating conditions. The DexCool may not last 150,000 miles in certain parts of the country due to the environment and terrain. Unfortunately, the coolant system is not warranted beyond the New Vehicle Warranty parameters of 3-years/36,000 miles. If you are currently experiencing a concern with your coolant system, we ask that you contact your local GMC and Pontiac dealerships. They are in the best position to diagnose the concerns you are experiencing with your vehicles. They can also advise you how often the DexCool should be changed in your area."

I mean come on, how does that justify telling people that they dont need to change the fluid more often......or at least have it checked. not to mention most people dont experience problems until after the 36,000mile mark.

Anyway, after all that, I say flush it out and put in the green stuff. Ive been running the green stuff for a little over a month and Ive noticed cooler op temps in stop and go trafic. meaning my temp needle stays at or just below the half mark. Before it would regularily go over the half way mark.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
FrankNY
GX Member

FrankNY is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FrankNY
Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983@Jul 5 2005, 05:42 PM
that 160 degree thermostat is way too low of a temperature.....what kind of mods do you have?? what engine do you have?? i think the stock one is 195 and pfyc has one at 180, if anything that 180 would be the lowest that i would go......

some others will comment on this though, see what they say
You're correct, I meant to say 180 degree thermostat. Isn't 180 stock?
FrankNY is offline   Reply With Quote