Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 11-29-2004, 12:40 AM   #1
ShortysTRM

Well, exactly as the title says...when the car is idling and I turn the wheel, it acts like it's going to stall or something. It almost seems like it's idling too low in the first place, and the added load makes it hesitate. It could be the Idle Air Control motor, as I have cleaned the valve before, though I was quite careful about what I was doing. Anyone else know what's going on?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
got me. are you talking about turning the wheel all the way?

sounds like maybe it might be PS pump related.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:03 AM   #3
ShortysTRM

It's even when it's turned just enough to move the tires. It's not extremely violent or anything, but it does drop in RPM. Anyone else with a 2.4 have this happen?
Old 11-29-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
|Rev|

no, the only time I notice a RPM drop is a tad bit when I turn the heater or something on. That's odd
Old 12-01-2004, 12:19 AM   #5
Final-Reality

Your engine will drop in revs because the PS pump is taking more power to turn the wheels, but it won't stall the car. If it's idling rough as it is then this might compound the problem and make it seem even worse.

For something really fun, turn it all the way to the left or right, and continue to try and turn it, applying pressure to the wheel. When I do this sometimes I definately think it's going to stall, because it drops below 500 revs... but it never has, and it's fun when you're sitting in the drive through waiting for your damn food, HURRY UP I WANT MY CHICKEN MCNUGGETS! <_<

Anyways.... what were we talking about? A fashion show?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
bluephoAm

Do you think a higher amp alternator would get rid of the effect?
Old 12-01-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
noodle

It would prolly cause even more of a drop in rpm. The bigger alt needs more rpms to spin. Expecially if you have the lights on, system cranked etc...
Old 12-08-2004, 10:59 AM   #8
ilikesubarus

did you check your idol controll sensor. it could be that or it could be a vacume leak, or it might be low on power steering fluid. you could have a bad alternator that is already putting a heavy load on the engine thuscauseing an additional load to make it bog even more. does it surge in idol, like fluxuate, or just bog. and is it only when it is idoling or does it also do it when you are driveing.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:08 AM   #9
99BLKALERO

mine did that.....no problems came from it..i just think it is form the PS pump pulling more juice......
Old 12-08-2004, 12:51 PM   #10
j-work

j-work is an unknown quantity at this point
Might be time for a tune up.
j-work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:28 PM   #11
Final-Reality

Wow didnt anybody read my post?

There's nothing wrong, any car will do that. If you turn the wheel while the vehicle isnt moving (which is harder to do than while it is moving; try it with a car that doesn't have power steering), it's going to put more parasatic drag on an idling engine and cause it's RPMs to drop. There's nothing wrong with his car, he doesnt need a new alternator, idle control sensor or anything else. :rolleyes:
Old 12-09-2004, 12:35 AM   #12
ShortysTRM

lol...that was fun The car seems like it's going crazy, but so does my 3.3, and so did her 3.4.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #13
ilikesubarus

sorry final-reality no one reads your posts we are to good for them lol. jk. yeah i read it and that deffinately sounds like a good time.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:31 AM   #14
bigd6983

lol yea every car ive ever driven does that, making the power sterring pump work when you are moving the wheel and moving cause its harder to rotate tires when they arent rolling either forward or backwards.......
Old 01-12-2005, 01:14 AM   #15
per0xide

mine drops when i turn the wheel and the car isnt moving, it drops when i turn on the defroster, and it drops when i roll up the windows...

also.. when i roll up the windows, if i have the headlights on, they dim a little bit...

i figured the part about the idle dropping a little bit was normal when i turned the wheels, and the car wasnt moving, simply because of the increase in the load, but for the lights dimming when i roll up the windows... i have no idea..

i replaced the battery, with that one from autozone with the titanium core, (was the most expensive one they had) and that didnt help.. checked the alternator, it works.. its done it ever since i got the car..
Old 01-12-2005, 01:41 AM   #16
Nik1128

Don't worry about it dude. It happens to all vehicles. You're just taking more power from the battery so it effects other electronics in your car.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:29 AM   #17
bigd6983

Quote:
Originally posted by per0xide@Jan 11 2005, 11:14 PM
mine drops when i turn the wheel and the car isnt moving, it drops when i turn on the defroster, and it drops when i roll up the windows...

also.. when i roll up the windows, if i have the headlights on, they dim a little bit...

i figured the part about the idle dropping a little bit was normal when i turned the wheels, and the car wasnt moving, simply because of the increase in the load, but for the lights dimming when i roll up the windows... i have no idea..

i replaced the battery, with that one from autozone with the titanium core, (was the most expensive one they had) and that didnt help.. checked the alternator, it works.. its done it ever since i got the car..
solution = optima battery + 160 amp alternator lol
Old 06-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #18
per0xide

mine does the same thing.. drops in rpm when i barely even move the steering wheel, as well as when i roll up the windows.. once they're all the way up, if i continue to hold the button to roll up the window, it will drop in rpms, and when its at night, and i can see the headlights.. the headlights get dimmer, the dash lights dim a bit, and the radio lights dim.. until i let go of it..

i thought it was the battery.. so i bought that titanium one from autozone.. most expensive battery they had, and that still didnt fix it...
Old 08-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #19
fusion
GX Member

fusion is an unknown quantity at this point
if u notice a bit of noise as well, then it's definitely the steering pump.
I HIGHY recommend Valvoline Synthetic PowerSteerng Fluid with stop leak.

Now, if everything tends to dim a bit, then it may have to do with a low charge on the battery - meaning it may be time to upgrade to an optima? MMMmm.
Stereo systems or underdrive pulleys may add to this.

AND... if it's just slight, it's TOTALLY normal. Try steering back and forth in park, watch your engine RPMs go all over the place.

fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:42 PM   #20
alero168
I Love Tiara!

alero168 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero168
i didnt even notice this until a couple weeks ago, and after reading some of the earlier posts i guess i have nothing to worry about.