Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
blackdog
GL Member

blackdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback needed

I am a total noob when it comes to car audio so I was hoping I could get some feedback on this system.

I am bringing my car down to get and alarm and audio system installed on Thur and would like some feedback on what the guy packaged for me.

I am getting the flip up GPS/DVD/CD/MP3/ w/Sat Radio/ w/Voice command made by Pioneer ANIC-N3 head unit.
Focal America 165 KF Speakers / tweeters for the front
Speaker Specs: http://www.focal-america.com/Product...wer/165KFx.pdf
Tweeter Specs: http://www.focal-america.com/Product...s/V2/TN47x.pdf
Focal America 165 CA1 Speakers for the back
http://www.focal-america.com/Product...5CA1_techx.pdf
The JL Audio 12W3v3 Sub for the trunk
The JL Audio 500/1 amp for the sub
The JL Audio 450/4 amp for the speakers

I am gettng the Viper 2 way alarm with every option to protect everything. This is going in my new car I just bought not my Alero just in case anyone says anything about the speaker size.

Car Part out: http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...478#post345478
eBay Auctions: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZa27283

Cars: 2006 Toyota Matrix, 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Looks alright. I liked the pioneer unit I had in my Elantra.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
melkor

sounds sweet black dog, you went to EHR last week didn't ya? Me too, I spent like $3000, how much did they charge you to install everything, and who was your salesman? I went in there for an alarm, the same viper you bought, and walked out with a system as well.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:39 AM   #4
blackdog
GL Member

No I went to Tweeter in VA, USA. The cost for the system is 5,700.00. The GPS head unit alone with the Sat and voice options ran 2000.00, the amps were around 600.00 each, subs/speakers/wires and so on ran around 1000.00 - 1200.00, and the alarm was around 750.00 with all the options. The rest of they money is install cost and its not that bad if you think of all the work they are doing for me. Best guess is this system sold in canada installed would be around 8,500 - 9,000 range, to all you low tax paying Americans we pay 14% sales tax up here so a huge chunk of that is taxes.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
melkor

Jesus Christ! I thought I spent alot! haha, yeah well, it'll sound sweet anyways!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:20 AM   #6
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
r u a effing drug dealer? or are you makin shit up?

ill build and install a system for you that sounds just as good but for 25% of what your paying those yahoo's

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
FartCannonAlero

yeah man, ive got 2 subs, amp, box, 6x9's, custom 6'' fronts, and pioneer headunit all for like 1000 if not less..
Old 08-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
blackdog
GL Member

I live in my car because of work and wanted a really good system, Im not a drug dealer and I know no one can build this system for 25% of the cost because the head unit alone is 35% of the cost and the alarm will cost the same no matter where you get it done.

The head unit is the AVIC-N3 made a typo on the first post.
SPECS: http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/22578.html

And I forgot I have a backup Cam as well and thats 250.00 so I guess they get even less then what I thought for install.

Last edited by blackdog : 08-07-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Let me know how the focal's sound after it is all installed. They are one of the most respected manufacturers in audio. The K2 line is suppose to be very close to the utopia. My only worry would be on the fit of the speaker. It is listed as being 71mm (74 with the grille). That is 2.9 inches. It won't fit in the door without major modifications. Meaning that there literaly is no room between the window and the door panel for a speaker of that depth. If you recieve the car and no alteration was done to the door, you may want to varify they placed the 6.5 in the door. The 51/4 is one half inch shallower and may fit. Otherwise, the slim profile 4 inch would be the best bet. If the shop is doing the modification then you got a very nice price for the install. I had to mount my JL and eclipse on the outside of the door. It required remaking the map area entirely. The JLW3 is a good sounding woofer. It produces a decent amount of bass and keeps a good clean sound. The only thing I would add is a focal seven inch mid bass. Concidering the money you have in the car, it would be worth it. Focal even has upgradable crossovers for the three way systems. You could get much louder systems for your price, but no way in hell are you going to touch your sound quality. Enjoy your tunes and keep us posted. I nearly forgot. If you aren't having them sound deaden the car, then save up the money and do it. You will get a much cleaner sound out of your doors, increased bass response, and more efficient usage of your wattage.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
U guys spent WAYYYYY TOOOO MUCH on that system. i bought my 2 infinity subs with a kenwood amp and a box for about $350 off ebay and to get it installed it was like $50......u guys might wanna start shopping somewhere else......why would u spend that much money on a system!!!???
Old 08-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #11
blackdog
GL Member

The system is going in my new Matrix I just bought so I am unsure of the speaker room. The shop said they are doing a lot of custom work to the car to get everything working right. They have my car booked for 12 hours+ of work and they are not stopping till everything is installed.

I am going to have that silver matting put all over the car when I get some extra cash and doing a few more things with the audio 2. I am huge on clear sounding music and am totaly not the type to blast my music. I like base from time to time 2 when I listen to tech or rock but I mosly listen to classical and will be watching movies. I know the audio I have is a bit over kill when watching a movie on my 6.5 inch screen but I want to get a large flat screen between 32 - 42 inch for my trunk area. These cars have so much head room its not funny so I am sure with a bit of custom work I will have a kick ass setup by xmas.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #12
blackdog
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188
U guys spent WAYYYYY TOOOO MUCH on that system. i bought my 2 infinity subs with a kenwood amp and a box for about $350 off ebay and to get it installed it was like $50......u guys might wanna start shopping somewhere else......why would u spend that much money on a system!!!???

It all boils down to how good of a system you want. Sure I can go on ebay and buy a system for about 300.00 and install it myself but it will sound like crap compaird to what I am used 2. If cheap is your style then more power to yah.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #13
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Damn right cheap is my style, im not gonna spend $3,000+ on a system for a matrix, lol. and for $300 my system sound sweet, eff spending all that money on a system, u can go buy a used car for that money. in my opinion its a rip off. but heyy if u wanna pay out the ass for a system more power to ya.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:08 PM   #14
mikegett
GL Member

Sorry, I compleately spaced on what car it is going into. I put 6.5's in my wifes corolla with no problem. You will want the matting though. The corolla and matrix have zero insulation on the door panels. What classical do you listen to? Like most, I enjoy Mozart. Otherwise I listen to Handel, Brahms, Bach (if I'm deepresed), and Bernsein. Man, you realy should concider a dedicated midrange. Go to the shop and audition a three way setup. Don't use anything larger than a 8 inch woofer. Seven is perfect. You won't believe how much cleaner the mid bass and midrange becomes when they aren't forced through the same woofer. Beethoven's sonata 14 (monlight sonata) will rock your nuts off with a dedicated midrange and midbass. I had a set of JL XR's running active in my alero with a set of 6.5 woofers installed in the rear seat. The arm rest was removed and replaced with a sealerd enclosure and one ten inch sub. I raised the front crossover to 180 htz with a 24 db slope and gains set off a 200 htz test tone at one half volume. The rear 6.5 was bandpassed from 180 htz down to 80 htz with a 18 db slope and a 60 htz test tone. The ten was crossed over at 120 with a 12 db slope and gains set to a 50 htz test tone. My wife and I spent quite a few nights laid back with the moonroof open and listening to Moonlight sonata. Of course, it took me two years to finish this install and then I sold the car shortly after. Most of the audio equipment went into other hobbies.
Billytheman18, the important thing is that you enjoy your music. Sound is all subjective and your music may seem fine. Someone else may wish that you had more front stage, better detail, or cleaner bass. some of this will come with better audio gear while others can be aquired from knowledge in installing. As blackjack stated most of his cost is in the navigation and alarm. You won't pick up a decent navi under a grand. His speakers, he will be the judge of there value. As for the amps, your kenwood pales in comparison. Amping a sub is one thing. Amping front stage is something compleately different. As for ebay, I commend blackjack for buying from a dealer. This helps to support the local economy and keep your audio prices down with higher quality.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #15
blackdog
GL Member

Your still young and prob only have a part time job so 5,700.00 seems like a lot so I can understand where you are coming from and I used to think the same way.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #16
blackdog
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegett
Sorry, I compleately spaced on what car it is going into. I put 6.5's in my wifes corolla with no problem. You will want the matting though. The corolla and matrix have zero insulation on the door panels. What classical do you listen to? Like most, I enjoy Mozart. Otherwise I listen to Handel, Brahms, Bach (if I'm deepresed), and Bernsein. Man, you realy should concider a dedicated midrange. Go to the shop and audition a three way setup. Don't use anything larger than a 8 inch woofer. Seven is perfect. You won't believe how much cleaner the mid bass and midrange becomes when they aren't forced through the same woofer. Beethoven's sonata 14 (monlight sonata) will rock your nuts off with a dedicated midrange and midbass. I had a set of JL XR's running active in my alero with a set of 6.5 woofers installed in the rear seat. The arm rest was removed and replaced with a sealerd enclosure and one ten inch sub. I raised the front crossover to 180 htz with a 24 db slope and gains set off a 200 htz test tone at one half volume. The rear 6.5 was bandpassed from 180 htz down to 80 htz with a 18 db slope and a 60 htz test tone. The ten was crossed over at 120 with a 12 db slope and gains set to a 50 htz test tone. My wife and I spent quite a few nights laid back with the moonroof open and listening to Moonlight sonata. Of course, it took me two years to finish this install and then I sold the car shortly after. Most of the audio equipment went into other hobbies.
Billytheman18, the important thing is that you enjoy your music. Sound is all subjective and your music may seem fine. Someone else may wish that you had more front stage, better detail, or cleaner bass. some of this will come with better audio gear while others can be aquired from knowledge in installing. As blackjack stated most of his cost is in the navigation and alarm. You won't pick up a decent navi under a grand. His speakers, he will be the judge of there value. As for the amps, your kenwood pales in comparison. Amping a sub is one thing. Amping front stage is something compleately different. As for ebay, I commend blackjack for buying from a dealer. This helps to support the local economy and keep your audio prices down with higher quality.
All I can say is WOW. You seem to really know your shit when it comes to audio. I will def talk to the installer about this and see if I can work something out with him. They gave me a huge deal on install already so I dont have much play room anymore. I will be selling my JBL stock speakers and head unit so maybe with that money I can get the extras but right now I hit my limit for spending. I talked the dealer down 6 grand for the car I bought so I was able to put the money into audio and GPS.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #17
mikegett
GL Member

Man, six grand on a toyota. I have never seen a dealer that went down below a grand. We were only able to get the corolla down 450. That was even after her mom had purchased three corollas for the daughters, one tundra, and a rav4 in five years. You are THE MAN. Don't forget that the JBL audio system has a OEM amplifier. Do the entire package on ebay and you may get a decent amount.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #18
blackdog
GL Member

Well my mom just bought a Prius off the sales man loaded to the nines and then I went to him and got a deal on my car. Car is loaded with leather, wing, tint, sport package the whole nines. Part of it also was the fact I got the 2006 not the 2007 but still I got a hell of a deal and a great car.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #19
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegett View Post
As blackjack stated most of his cost is in the navigation and alarm. You won't pick up a decent navi under a grand. His speakers, he will be the judge of there value. As for the amps, your kenwood pales in comparison. Amping a sub is one thing. Amping front stage is something compleately different. As for ebay, I commend blackjack for buying from a dealer. This helps to support the local economy and keep your audio prices down with higher quality.

Why does everyone around here insist on using my name in vain.....

This isn't the first time I've been confused with blackdog. Nothing similar but the name.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #20
mikegett
GL Member

Your right blackjack. I shouldn't have disrespeceted blackdog by confusing the two of you.