Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

nonmoalero is an unknown quantity at this point
New stereo stuff question

First off, when it comes to car audio, I don't know sh&*, so don't be too hard on my ignorance.

So, I just had the weenies at Circuit City install a new Pioneer DEHP4000UB deck, as well as some infinity speakers and an amp I acquired from a co-worker. The amp is 2-channel so it only runs the rear 6x9's. Well, now that it is all in, I don't get near the base out of the new 6x9 speakers that I did out of the old stockers. The stock speakers would at least rattle the car a little, but the new ones just start to pop at higher volume. I have messed with the equalizer and other settings a ton, but nothing seems to give me the same effect I want, nor does it come close to the base I used to get. The sound I get is clear and much better than the stockers, but I still want the base I used to get. I am now just considering buying some woofers and having them connected to the amp with the front and rear speakers just run off the deck. If anyone can give me some ideas as to why the new speakers are not giving the base I want, or some ideas and advice as to what I should do next, I would greatly appreciate it.
nonmoalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
You might make sure the amp is set to "full" or Low-pass"

Did they even test it for you after install?
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT View Post
You might make sure the amp is set to "full" or Low-pass"

Did they even test it for you after install?

Thank you for the reply. What do you mean by test? I assume so, but can't say for sure since they didn't go over how the settings worked or anything like that with me; I had to read all of that in the manual myself (which I planned on doing anyway). I did make sure that it is set to "full" on the deck, so at least that setting is correct. Are there any settings on the amp that might need to be changed?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Thats because the factory stereo is specifically tuned to the car/system.

When you just crank the bass up on the new deck your adjusting more than just one small area of the "eq" if you would. Say in a real eq if you wanted more bass you would start at the lowest setting say 30Hz. Then you would goto the next setting, say 60 Hz. You wouldnt crank the 80 and 100 hz to much.But when you jsut adjust the "bass" on a unit its taking probably the 80Hz and pulling that up and the others around it, but the 80 is peak. So you get distortion at some point.

Solution, small sub and sub amp. I would get a single 10" if you dont need much bass. Run it sealed.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Thats because the factory stereo is specifically tuned to the car/system.

When you just crank the bass up on the new deck your adjusting more than just one small area of the "eq" if you would. Say in a real eq if you wanted more bass you would start at the lowest setting say 30Hz. Then you would goto the next setting, say 60 Hz. You wouldnt crank the 80 and 100 hz to much.But when you jsut adjust the "bass" on a unit its taking probably the 80Hz and pulling that up and the others around it, but the 80 is peak. So you get distortion at some point.

Solution, small sub and sub amp. I would get a single 10" if you dont need much bass. Run it sealed.

That helps, thank you for the information. I kind of figured that would be the case. I am going to try the best I can to make what I already have installed work, so should I just have the amp already installed connected to a sub and take it away from the 6x9's, or have another small amp installed with the new sub? Also, I don't know what sealed means?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
deathwish666
GL Member

deathwish666 is on a distinguished road
i would just buy a little pioneer sub and like 100-300 watt amp at walmart, a buddy of mine has that setup and it works fine for him

sealed is when the box has no openings in it, another walmart purchase, you will also have to purchase some power wires and stuff, they will also have those..well...haha at walmart, get the wires that are rated for your amp

there should be hook up instructions in the packaging or if you need help just post it

hope that helped
coming soon: some led's, better subs
deathwish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
All depends on how much you have to spend, what size wires they run for your current amp.

leaving it how it is and adding sall amp/sub combo would be best for overall sound.

Depending on your amp,you may be able to run it to the 6X9s and power a sub...
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
All depends on how much you have to spend, what size wires they run for your current amp?

18ga
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
All depends on how much you have to spend, what size wires they run for your current amp.

leaving it how it is and adding sall amp/sub combo would be best for overall sound.

Depending on your amp,you may be able to run it to the 6X9s and power a sub...

I am not sure about the wires to the amp, but I will ask. This is the amp:http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...=US&Region=USA so I am assuming I will need another for the sub. I have an acquaintance who works at Harmon Kardin and can get Infinity stuff at a discount, what do you think about this: http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...=US&Region=USA and this: http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...=US&Region=USA?

Also, the passenger side 6x9 buzzes at certain tones, should I take the car back to Circuit City and have them deal with it, or should I try and find out what it is? And, where should I buy a box?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
itsbmw

Last edited by itsbmw : 01-04-2023 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
You want a little bass here's what you do get one of those 5gallon paint buckets and put the top back on it. Strap it down to the back seat and run any size wire to it that you want, it doesn't even have to be hooked up to anything. Next get yourself a set of drum sticks, and crank your music as loud as you want. Now everytime there should be a bassline in the song you are listening to hit that bitch as hard as you can...Hell if you want to change the bassline hit that bitch again. Enjoy.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
You want a little bass here's what you do get one of those 5gallon paint buckets and put the top back on it. Strap it down to the back seat and run any size wire to it that you want, it doesn't even have to be hooked up to anything. Next get yourself a set of drum sticks, and crank your music as loud as you want. Now everytime there should be a bassline in the song you are listening to hit that bitch as hard as you can...Hell if you want to change the bassline hit that bitch again. Enjoy.

I know I may get shit for this, but, that isn't such a bad idea, but if I am trying to drive and bang the bucket at the same time it won't be that easy, so for the amount of money I am about to spend, I should just take your recommendation one step further and pay a bum (after a shower of course) to bang on the bucket so I don't have to do it!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Lol everybody has there way of doing things and it all goes back to the right way and the wrong way. You get what you pay for and sometimes you have to spend that extra dime when you cant do it yourself. If Circuit city installed it and there are problems then they should be the ones to trouble shoot it. As far as a box you can get those anywhere, but again you get what you pay for.