Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
pv-alero
GX Member

pv-alero is on a distinguished road
Change Coolent Alero 2.4L

hi
I have a question, i want to change the coolent from my Car.
Is there any drain plug on the radiator, and when i let it out, is the system compleet empty ?

Where should i refill the system, i don't see a radiator cap ?
Is Dexcool the right stuff to refill, or should i use someting else ?

It's a 2001 Alero 2.4L automatic

greetings Patrick
pv-alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
The drain on the radiator is on the drivers side under the front. If you look under the front bumper you can see it. It wont drain the entire system out though. If you are still running dexcool thats what you should put back in. You don't want to mix the green with the red. If you get the system flushed out you can run the green.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Beholder88
GL Member

Beholder88 is on a distinguished road
Advice

I would drain all that you can from the drainrooster, then fill it with water and run it around the block or something. Then drain it again. Repeat this process until there is just straight water coming out of the drain. It wouldnt hurt to run some Prestone rad flush stuff through it either. Once the coolant is draining clear, you can close the drainrooster and fill it with some prestone all make/all models, or get some new dexcool. The prestone all makes/all models is cheaper.
Beholder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
pv-alero
GX Member

Thanks for the advise,

I had read on the internet that there where some troubles (sludge and blown head gaskets) with Dexcool, is this true ?

I am living in the Netherlands (Europe) and we don't get that information from dealers, so i did read it on the internet.

And where should i refill the system, i don't see a radiator cap ?

Patrick
Old 08-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Beholder88
GL Member

More Advice

The only time you end up with sludge and whatnot is when you mix the orange and green coolants together.There isn't actually a "rad cap" on these, you fill kt through the overflow tank on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Dont go all pour happy, add a little bit at a time to let it all filter down into the rad, maybe a half gallon at a time. Be sure to pay attention to the fill level marks on the side of the overflow tank, don't want to over-fill!
Beholder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
pv-alero
GX Member

hi,

I drained my radiator from my 2.4L Alero, about 4,5L came out, i removed the lowest radiator hose, and i drained the radiator.
i want to put 4,5L new Cooldex in the reservoir, but i can't get it in (3L max).

Is there somewhere an air-nipple, so i can bleed the cooling system, and get all the air out ?

patrick
Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #7
Beholder88
GL Member

Try this

Get as much coolant in as you can, the put everything back to gether and start the car. The water pump should work everything around a bit and all of the air should make its way out of the system. Let it run for about 2 or 3 minutes, then shut it off and take the cap off. You should be able to add more coolant now. As for an air nipple or anything, I'm not sure if the 2.4L has a bleeder screw like the 3400 does.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
edit edit