Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
yes others give them sht, me im pretty peaceful on this site.

gagt is another story
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
yes others give them sht, me im pretty peaceful on this site.

gagt is another story

You're peaceful everywhere, besides one time I seen you let loose on GAGT. I was surprised.
04PONTIACGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04PONTIACGA View Post
You're peaceful everywhere, besides one time I seen you let loose on GAGT. I was surprised.

Hahaha I'm a nice guy really, and I forgot who I snapped at, wasn't it loco? Lmao!

Aww I missed my 5000th post, oh well 5k posts now.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #24
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
Yeah it was loco. lol I'm a nice guy myself, but sometimes It's fun getting a rise out of people. It's not my fault some people have no sense of humor. A lot of times I can just sit back though and , like that rice-tastic thread on GAGT, tons of lulz on that one.
04PONTIACGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #25
sleepyalero
GLS member

Yeah lmao there's a lot of crazy people on some sites haha
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #26
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post

But to answer your question milo, the .5 difference won't affect it. The largest width a wheel can have on an "N" body (meaning 99-05/06 Alero, Grand Am and Malibu) is 8. The largest recommended size for you to get is 18, but 20's will fit it just looks ridiculous and having low profile wheels equals a nasty bumpy ride.

You should be more concerned with offset than the .5 difference between a 7.5 and a 8.0 wheel anyways. Offset plays a big part on how the car handles with aftermarket wheels.

Also, if you want, you can always look for Mustang rims. SN95 and D2C Mustangs (the last 2 generations) have the same center bore and almost exact bolt pattern as most GM FWD cars do. The Mustang's center bore is 70.3 but the bolt pattern is 5x114.3 and the offset is around 40mm or so (can't recall). 114.3 will fit a 115 bolt pattern but it's a tight fit.

False......You can go wider than an 8 in wide rim but you need to check your clearances and know the offsets. Also he should be concerned with both the width and the offset, a 7.5 rim with a +35 offset vs. a 8.0 rim with a +35 offset can change the looks of the car dramatically.

Also, Mustang rims you need to be careful of offset and width as they are highly variable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLo View Post
my original tire size is 205 65 15. I want to upgrade to 17" or 18".. there is a website i went to and they said that 17x7.5 5x115 et:40 is good and 18x7.5 5x115 et:40 is good... (on your 18"s you got 18x8), does the .5" in make any difference or will i be ok?

I have 255/40/17s on the front and 235/45/17s on the rear of my car on 17x8 +32 offset, and they fit perfect in the front, I think rear flushing on FWD cars is retarded so the rears are square and therefore sunk in some.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #27
MiLo
GX Member

MiLo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
False......You can go wider than an 8 in wide rim but you need to check your clearances and know the offsets. Also he should be concerned with both the width and the offset, a 7.5 rim with a +35 offset vs. a 8.0 rim with a +35 offset can change the looks of the car dramatically.

Also, Mustang rims you need to be careful of offset and width as they are highly variable.

I have 255/40/17s on the front and 235/45/17s on the rear of my car on 17x8 +32 offset, and they fit perfect in the front, I think rear flushing on FWD cars is retarded so the rears are square and therefore sunk in some.

should i just go to a rim shop and tell them im looking for 18's? or should i just do more research as far as offset and tire size goes and get exactly what i want? idk if the shops are just looking for a quick buck and will just sell me some bullshit...
does it matter with the fronts and backs?? you said you got 255/40 (which is bigger/thinner) and 235/45 (which is smaller/thicker).....
to me that seems like 2 totally different size tires to go on a set of rims (17's).. are all 4 rims the same offset?
wouldn't i or shouldn't i just get the same size tires for all 4 like the stock rims/tires?...
what does having 2 different size tires do for me?
JVC kw-hdr720 Double Din Head Unit
Polk Audio DXi691 Coaxial & DXi461 Plate Speakers
White/Glossified Plasti-Dipped OEM 15" Rims
Red Painted Brake Calipers & Drums
CarDomain home page is pretty much before pix.
The after pix haven't been taken yet... Still under construction
MiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #28
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Very understandable, but isn't the main goal of buying aftermarket rims is to stay as close to your overall tire diameter and tire measurements as possible? Meaning that if your car has a 42mm offset, a 70.3 offset and a 5x115 bolt pattern with an overall diameter of 24 then get a wheel that will retain those features? Because I was always told that offset mattered more than the width as too high of an offset will make the car eat up the suspension system, whereas width will simply make the tires rub or not have enough clearance.

Quote:

This I feel would happen more with aftermarket rims, but you're absolutely right on the variable of offset. This is also true with GM cars in themselves... one would think all 5x115 cars have the same offset, but they dont.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #29
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLo View Post
should i just go to a rim shop and tell them im looking for 18's? or should i just do more research as far as offset and tire size goes and get exactly what i want? idk if the shops are just looking for a quick buck and will just sell me some bullshit...
does it matter with the fronts and backs?? you said you got 255/40 (which is bigger/thinner) and 235/45 (which is smaller/thicker).....
to me that seems like 2 totally different size tires to go on a set of rims (17's).. are all 4 rims the same offset?
wouldn't i or shouldn't i just get the same size tires for all 4 like the stock rims/tires?...
what does having 2 different size tires do for me?

I would do more research. A local tire shop isn't going to know your vehicle as well as you do, and feel free to keep posting in here for questions. I and others are more than willing to help. The rims that a tire shop will sell you, yes they will fit, but they are not gonna fit perfect, and when spending hard earned money, that is not acceptable for me. If you read what I wrote below you will see that I went with a bigger (wider) tire in front for more traction. You won't need to do that. Actually, both tires although they seem different are actually really close in overall diameter. So you are set on 18s for sure then?

This calculator will help you decide on a tire size.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

This calculator will help with offsets.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Very understandable, but isn't the main goal of buying aftermarket rims is to stay as close to your overall tire diameter and tire measurements as possible? Meaning that if your car has a 42mm offset, a 70.3 offset and a 5x115 bolt pattern with an overall diameter of 24 then get a wheel that will retain those features? Because I was always told that offset mattered more than the width as too high of an offset will make the car eat up the suspension system, whereas width will simply make the tires rub or not have enough clearance.

Yes, it is true that you want the overall diameter to usually stay as close as possible to stock. However on the offset and width, you want to manipulate it to look really good on your vehicle. So in my case, I wanted as much tire as possible for traction, so I went with an 8 inch wide wheel. I also wanted the rims as close to flush with the front fenders as possible, so after research, I determined that was a +32 offset with 8in wide wheels. I mean really who wants to pay money for aftermarket rims and then have them sit way inside the fenders and look like crap! I sure don't! Also stock tire diameter is 24.9.

As I mentioned, offset and width are equally as important because they can both cause interference issues.