Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
green99gls

I was hoping that people would be able to help identify all the makes and models of cars that use the same 3400 engine that is in the alero. My engine just recently seized up on me and I am looking at about $2 - 3k just to buy a rebuilt engine. I was thinking about getting one from a junkyard instead because it could be cheaper but I didnt know what vehicles had this engine beside the obvious ones like the grand am.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
personally i'm not sure of very many, but i did notice my mom's '00 mustang has a 3.5L V6. wonder if a used one might fit..

*NOT an engine guy* don't jump all over me for the idea, its just a random thought...
Old 02-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
black99alero
GX Member

black99alero is an unknown quantity at this point
The Chevy malibu has the same motors I believe...........
Old 02-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
^ and the N-body Cutlass, obviously. haha

also, Impala/Monte Carlo/Grand Prix. Not sure of others. You're more than likely going to find the 3800 in these cars though, even though the 3400 was available.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
dont know if its sold yet or not, but somebody was selling an engine and tranny for 500
Old 02-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
Lovestheh20

2-3k on a rebuild????? you could get a junkyard w/ low miles for less than 1k!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
couple of other vehicles not previously mentioned:

Chevy Venture (minivan)
Pontiac Aztec

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
SikMindz
GL Member

SikMindz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SikMindz
The Malibus of the same gen as our cars had a 3100 in them FYI.

IIRC, the 3400 was only offered in the GA, Alero, Venture and Asstek.

Unless you're talking about 3.4L GM motors in general. There's a diff...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #9
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
have you checked car-part.com? you could probably find an engine close to where ever you live for cheap. And on another note do you know why your engine seized?
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #10
green99gls

I have tried car-part.com but did not see any great deals that are within a reasonable drive.

A neighbor was telling me about these junkyards where basically you do all the work such as disassembling the part and they are dirt cheap. I called one in the area and an automated system was talking about pricing on different parts of a car. They said a 4-cylinder engine is only 107 so I cant see a 6 being that much more expensive. That was the reason I wanted to know all the different makes and models that use the 3400. So that when I go down there I can have a big list of cars to check for the best engine on mileage and condition.

As for my current engine, yes I do know why it seized but I do not know how it happened. The shop that I got the car to said they could not find a drop of oil in the engine. i am bringing the car to a shop that is going to inspect the engine and try to let me know what happened.

I have been changing my own oil for years so I am hoping that I did not forget to do something stupid like completely tighten the filter. The weird thing is I have not seen any oil spots in the driveway or my assigned parking spot at work. The low oil light and the red oil light never came on and I just changed the oil back in November and have only put on about 3K miles. I use the larger X2 filters and usually change around 5K. I'm thinking a seal or gasket might have gone bad and the high pressure inside of the engine when I'm driving must be the case but a few days will most likely identify the reason.

The worst part, it was a 1999 with only 27,980 miles on the engine. Talk about a major disappointment
Old 02-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
green99gls

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Using car-parts.com as a search tool and your input I was able to determine that the Alero shares the same engine with similar year

Aztek
Monte Carlo
Impala
Silhouette
Venture
Montana
Grand Am SE

cars that did not pull up the similar 3.4 where the

Malibu
Cutlass
Grand Prix
Old 02-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
green99gls

@ double0alero

was that engine you are talking about from someone local or was that through a member here on the forum
Old 02-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
was a member on here chris...i just cna't seem to find the thread. also check at gagt.com and see what you might be able to find over there and i like that car-part.com idea as well...