Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
luckilero7
GL Member

luckilero7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dual Exhaust

So took the time to do a dual outlet exhaust with help from the local junkyard. I went and took a grand am gt muffler and modified it slightly so I could use the same exhaust tips I previously had. Spent only $10 on the muffler, but the 2 new tips were the biggest cost lol. All in all only spent about $55 to do it. Still have some slight adjustments to do tho for better appearance. Bought a different rubber mount thats stiffer and will pull up the drivers side closer to the bumper.

Last edited by luckilero7 : 05-17-2011 at 02:34 PM.
luckilero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Rouseman
GX Member

Rouseman is on a distinguished road
Not sure if want. Hows the sound?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
What did you use to cut it?

I have duals like that and to do it right I took it to a body shop. They cut out the spot, then molded in a stock cut-out so it looks factory and the paint won't crack or peel like if cut with a hacksaw

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
If you went through all the trouble to put on duals, why in the world would you use a stock muffler? That's just ridiculous.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
luckilero7
GL Member

Not sure if want what rouseman? and sounds good. slightly more exhaust tone but due more in part to the exhaust clamps and pipe i used to connect it but sounds good. Redog, used a dremel and took my time.... and lots of time i took lol. not worried about the molding of the plastic to match the drivers side as its really not seen unless ur looking up into it and if i want i can cut the drivers side plastic that goes over the exhaust tips to match even better... cost to necessity ratio to spend the money to have a shop do all that wasnt neccessary. Paint well when weather gets better i'll use matching silver touch up paint and clear to cover the little exposing black where i cut but not too worried there as i do wash and detail my car to look out for any issues.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
luckilero7
GL Member

Because an aftermarket muffler that has dual outlets cost $80 and up alone then still gota get the rest of the stuff to complete it. then If i wanted an exhaust shop to do it it would be way too much money. So even if i added an aftermarket "performance" muffler i wouldnt be adding performance as the rest of the exhaust would be stock and not going for performance as i just want a daily cruiser. it wasnt any trouble lol hence the reason i did it the way i did.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
luckilero7
GL Member

Scenerio: your whole car, engine-wise, is stock then you only replace the muffler with maybe a flowmaster and all for what? that to me makes no sense. If all you wanted was sound, hell I can give you that for free in 2 minutes
Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Not to be the skeptic....I admire the drive and loyalty to cause. But you could have worked the extra hours in place of the searching/dremmeling/etc. and bought a dual pacesetter exhaust and simply cut a lip in the bumper for it and call it a day.

To each his own though.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
luckilero7
GL Member

thank you finally someone said it.... to each their own and yes i could have bought a pacesetter and thought of it but then cost came in to play and not to mention it wasnt really that hard but thanks. Spending money on summer tires for my rims and H&R springs and HID's in which all I either have a hookup or have done my searching for best price, let alone all the other little things I want to do.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #10
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Don't look bad, really.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckilero7 View Post
Scenerio: your whole car, engine-wise, is stock then you only replace the muffler with maybe a flowmaster and all for what? that to me makes no sense. If all you wanted was sound, hell I can give you that for free in 2 minutes

It isn't just sound. The stock engine breathes a little better if you have a CAI as well. Minor performance and efficiency increase.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
luckilero7
GL Member

I have the CAI also but without the cat back at least yes very minor petformance and slight slight efficiency increase
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #13
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a grand am muffler and I love it too. Sounds just like stock but a little deeper. I prefer the stock sound to any exhaust clips I've seen on youtube. I was surprised by how much wider the Grand Am exhaust tubing is compared to the Alero GLS. Swapping out the whole exhaust could be a cheap exhaust mod. I used the stock hangers, the sagging on the driver side is a result of it not actually being tightly connected to the tailpipe. I used the correct pipe adapter and welded it so there aren't any leaks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dual.jpg (57.6 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by mrmike : 03-21-2011 at 11:21 PM.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:47 AM   #14
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
hmmmm..... idk..
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
lucki: looks good. the tips are a clean look. seems like a smart upgrade.
mrmike: not sure why yours look different, seem too small or sitting too low.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
luckilero7
GL Member

well thank you 2fst4u for the compliment. I still have some adjustments I want to do but unfortunately I was just rear-ended this past saturday night so waiting upon this insurance debacle between my state farm and the other driver's nationwide. Have the feeling they will replace my bumper which means I'll have to do the cut out again so waiting to do the adjustments till then. Also haven't ordered my H&R's yet nor picked up my tires for the summer wheels to complete the summer look.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

take the check for your rear bumper and i'll sell you my used rear that's already cut for duals for dirt cheap. i'm honestly thinking $50 plus shipping. the thing is just sitting in my storage shed. you'd only have to pay more for paint then, as it's white. just a thought.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

bump
Old 04-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
luckilero7
GL Member

Good news!.... the alero will be going to the body shop thursday and they said they would do the custom cut out for my duals on the new bumper! Tires are night and on the summer rims, springs are being shipped as we speak, and hid's ordered hopefully here soon. When I get the car back and hopefully good weather soon, I'll put it all together and get some pics up! Any suggestions as to a single or double din cd/dvd player?